The combination… the bananas, the brown sugar, the maple vanilla glaze… that has etched this breakfast into the rotation at our house. This is a thing. A big thing. It’s like… banana bread… in pancake form. For reals.
Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Banana Bread Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Measure out the milk and add the vanilla extract to it. Whisk together the dry ingredients and add in milk and vanilla, stirring to combine. The mixture will still be dry. Add in mashed bananas and mix. Add in melted butter and stir until batter is somewhat smooth.
- Heat a skillet or grilled on medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with butter and syrup, or the vanilla maple glaze.
if you don’t have/can’t find whole wheat pastry flour, use 1 cup of regular whole wheat and 1 cup of all purpose. Or 2 cups of all purpose.
Vanilla Maple Glaze
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Pour over pancakes.