- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water between 110°-115°F
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, yeast, and salt.
- Pour in the warm water and mix with a wooden spoon. The dough will be very sticky. Do not add more flour!
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise 10-18 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Once the oven is preheated, place a dutch oven into the oven with the lid on for 30 minutes so that the dutch oven heats through.
- Turn the dough out to a large, lightly floured piece of parchment paper. The dough will still be sticky and have air bubbles.
- Form the dough into a ball and place the parchment paper and dough into a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean rag while the dough rests.
- Once the dutch oven has been heated 30 minutes, carefully place the dough with the parchment paper beneath it into the hot dutch oven. Return the dutch oven to the oven with the lid on and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, uncover the dutch oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. The dough should be golden and crispy.
- Let the dough cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Olive cheese – 1 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/2 cup olives
Herb – Your favorite fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme work well) and fresh cracked pepper Ingredient Line Up Unbleached, all purpose flour
Active dry yeast – Make sure your yeast is fresh and not old! Otherwise your dough will not rise.
Salt – A coarse salt, such as kosher or sea salt, gives this bread wonderful flavor.
Warm water – Use a thermometer to measure the temperature. Your water should be between 110°F-115°F. This is the right temperature range to activate your yeast without killing it!