Creamed corn is a great holiday side dish or for a fun weeknight side dish!
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- paprika or fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Add corn to a saute pot over medium high heat. Stir in about 3 cups of water. Bring corn to a simmer and let cook for about 5 minutes until thawed. Pour mixture through a strainer to drain water.
- Pour the corn back into the pan and back onto the heat. Stir the flour in with the corn until well-coated with the flour. Stir in the half and half, sugar, and garlic powder.
- Lower the heat to medium low. Let the corn mixture simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has thickened. There should still be visible liquid, but not so much that the corn has a soup-like consistency (see photos). Stir in the butter, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle paprika if desired on top and fresh chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve warm.