This classic pecan pie recipe is a must for your Thanksgiving dessert. This traditional fall pie is easy to make and is perfect for serving to friends and family during the holidays.
Best Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 pie crust for deep dish pie homemade or store bought
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
For the Crust:
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch diameter circle and press it into the pie plate. Trim the crust, leaving 1-inch around the edges and reserve the dough scraps. Fold the dough edges under and crimp the edges to your liking.
- Bake the crust 4 minutes or just until the crust is set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool 3 minutes. Use leftover scraps to cover any cracks in the crust (hopefully, there aren’t any). Cool the crust 30 minutes and brush lightly with one beaten egg.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
For the Filling:
- Be sure oven temperature is set to 350°F and the oven rack is adjusted to the middle position.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add sugars and cook (stirring often) until mixture starts bubbling about 3-4 minutes. Add corn syrup and cook (stirring often) until mixture comes to a boil, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and cool 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to a medium heatproof bowl and whisk lightly. Pour 1 cup of the slightly cooled sugar mixture into a heatproof measuring cup.
- Very slowly whisk the 1 cup sugar mixture into the beaten eggs then very slowly whisk the beaten egg/sugar mixture back into the hot sugar mixture in the saucepan. Quickly whisk the mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add vanilla and salt and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the pecans and stir well.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie crust edge with a pie crust shield or foil.
- Bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until the pie is almost set in the middle. The pie should be barely jiggly in the middle.
- Transfer the pie to a cooling rack to cool completely before serving, at least 3 hours.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream.